To provide programs and promote activities to improve the quality of life for children, youth, adults, seniors, and families.
SEAC, Inc. is a grass-roots non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that was initiated by the Seaton Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Church, located in Lanham, Maryland. Our name, Seaton Empowering Action in the Community, exemplifies the organization’s mission of service to the community through a philanthropic structure.
Recognizing the strength of partnerships, SEAC, Inc. maximizes its resources by partnering with schools, civic associations, other non-profit organizations, and individuals in carrying out its programs, and tailors those programs to best meet the needs of the communities we serve.
Through its grass roots efforts and community partnerships SEAC, Inc. has successfully:
- Sponsored Once Upon a Gown to provide students who may not have the financial means access to gently used prom gowns, shoes, and/or accessories. Middle and High School students had the opportunity to come to a “one-stop-shop” boutique style event to select from over 400 items. Once Upon a Gown was able to outfit more than 95 students to help make their prom a special day! Due to the generous collection of items, additional pop-up events were held at schools and community events. Planning is currently taking place to sponsor Once Upon a Gown in March, 2018. For more information please visit www.onceuponagown.org.
- Partnered with local organizations to award scholarships to high school students from Prince George’s County
- Established the Mathematics Enrichment Program (MAP) in partnership with Thomas Johnson Middle School and its Parent Teachers Association to help students who were at risk of failing mathematics. The results:
- Approximately 50 students participated
- Students achieved 95% attendance record
- Saw 58% increase in student participation in our second session
- All of our students improved and progressed to the next math subject
- Parents reported that MAP students showed a greater interest in school and a better attitude toward learning
- Provided clothing to a family left homeless after a tragic fire
- Partnered with local organizations to provide meals to needy families including:
- Kappa Epilson Lambda Foundation (philanthropic arm of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.), Kappa Epsilon Lambda Chapter
- Prince George's County Department of Social Services
- Lincoln-Vista Civic Association
- Launched a Continuing Scholars Program to assist college students while in school
The Ivy Community Charities of Prince George's County, Inc.
The Ivy Community Charities of Prince George's County, Inc. was established in 1986; it's mission is to strengthen families. The organization provides a systemic program to enhance the academic, cultural, health and socio-economic status of County residents. Our programs include tutoring for elementary students, leadership development and character building for middle school girls, college and career preparation for high school students as well as training and advocacy workshops for parents. We provide more than $30,000.00 in scholarships annually to high school seniors, new shoes for children in need, support for senior residents in a local nursing home, and restoration/beautification of local school playgrounds.
Visit The Ivy Community Charities of Prince George's County website at https://www.iccpgc.org/.